[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Construction

>Date:          Thu, 5 Sep 1996 22:25:33 -0600
>From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject:       Primary Construction

>>From DELCOKEVIN-at-aol-dot-comThu Sep  5 22:18:02 1996
>Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 11:44:44 -0400
>From: DELCOKEVIN-at-aol-dot-com
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Primary Construction

>Everyone,

>I am getting ready to wind my primary for my latest coil.
>It will use ~12 turns of 3/4" or 1" copper tubing.

>I have my own ideas, but, I would like input from anyone who has built a
>similar primary

>as to their construction techniques.

>Kevin M. Conkey

Kevin,

I think the 3/4 inch copper tubing will be more than adequate for
your system as proposed.  At the power level you plan to run, I would
have made the secondary somewhat larger.  I did just that with my own
'large' system.  30 inch diameter solenoid, close wound to a length
of 67.5 inches with #12 HTTN stranded, tinned, 600 volt wire, 4200 feet.
Toroid is 15.5 inch by 67 inch.  Fres with topload is 54 kHz.  My
primary was flat spiral using 3/4 inch CATV aluminum hardline.
System cap was only 0.05 mfd, charger was 16000 volt, 10 kVa pole
pig.  This sytem has never yet been run to near its capacity, but at
10 kVa input the performance was awesome.

My coil as setup for its one test to date two years ago (I still
don't have the shop space to work on it) can be seen at
ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/electrical/tesla/pictures/rws.  Look for
LTC01RWS.JPG

Good luck with your coil.  I will definitely wish to see it if it works!  :)

regards, rwstephens