[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multiphase Tank Circuits

If any of you have been following my rather tedious post as of
late regarding the new power supply, I wanted to drop in a
comment, and perhaps get some feedback on the possibility of
three
phase tank circuit inputs.

For those with the publication below I will refer to the text on
pp. 59 - 61 and figure 38 shown on page 60:

_ NIKOLA TESLA ON HIS WORK WITH ALTERNATING CURRENTS
AND THEIR APPLICATION TO WIRELESS TELEGRAPHY, TELEPHONY,
AND TRANSMISSION OF POWER_
N. Tesla, edited by Leland I. Anderson, published in 1992 by Sun
Publishing, Div. of Boyle & Anderson, Denver, CO., 80219. Library
of Congress Catalog #92-60482, ISBN 0-9632652-0-2, paper 237pp;

The referenced diagram and the associated text refer to Tesla's
use of multi-phase inputs.

>From my understanding of the information provided, it appears
Tesla was using a synchronous break with three stationary
electrodes driven directly from the shaft of the generator. In
the text he refers to similar arrangements using up to eight
phase
inputs.

My first thoughts on this lead me to ask if anybody has tried
this in one form or another. This looks like a way to process
more power through a system, which could be very helpful in
squeezing additional spark lengths from existing coil sets. It
might also be a way to obtain good results from moderately sized
coil sets designed for the production of fireballs.

Additional thoughts on this subject lead me to wonder about the
existence of moderately sized three phase synchronous motors for
the gap. It is not likely I will be picking up a three phase
motor/generator set in the near future, but with a right motor
and gap assembly it is conceivable I could run some low power
tests in this area by adding a third pole pig to my matched pair,
then ganging up my third variac and wiring everything for three
phase operation.

A couple of years ago, before I married and bought this house, I
had an architect draw and estimate a commercial building with 20
foot ceilings, sunken "grease pit" type depression in the center
of the floor, and 3 phase 480 volt power supply. The total cost
for the bare bones structure was about what I paid on my house
(~$95K). It is not inconceivable that I may build this structure
sometime in the more distant future.

Richard Quick