[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primaries

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Primaries
>
> >From bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-comWed Sep 25 20:59:31 1996
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 07:06:04 -0700
> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Primaries
>
> Tesla List wrote:

<SNIPPAGE>
> > > Good Luck!!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Malcolm
>
> Malcolm,
>
> I haven't tried pushing the coupling coefficient on my 2-coil system
> beyond 0.21. However, the Behr Build50 seems to dramatically reduce
> corona and has eliminated any inter-turn flashovers - there's absolutely
> no sign of any pre-breaksown phenomena in a dark room running flat-out.
> You may want to try using an epoxy under/overcoat perhaps with
> supplementary LDPE sheeting between the primary and secondary to see if
> you can push k to 0.28. If it works you'll definately have a winner! If
> not, you can always back it down to and still be in the game.
>
> -- Bert --

Malcolm,
	I second Berts suggestion. On my second coil I followed
Brent Turners advice and heavily sealed my coil. I placed 3 coats
of polyurethane on the PVC first. Wrapped 937 turns on the pipe. And
then sealed the coil with enough polyurethane to make the windings
smooth. My corona problems disappeared. I have no interturn arcing.
And no Primary to Secondary arcing when over coupled. My present
coupling is set to 0.28 with no problems.

D. Gowin