[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Questions!

 * Original msg to: Davidf4797-at-aol-dot-com

> If the signal tends to travel along the outside suface of the
> wire anyway, what difference should it make if the wire is
> solid or hollow?

The cost. Copper is sold by weight and it is not cheap.

> Second, in terms of spacing the primary, does one measure from
> the center of the "wire" or the surface of the wire?

You always measure the space between turns as the actual space
between turns.

> This becomes even more of a problem when the primary is made of
> 1/4 inch hollow copper tube.  If you want to have 1/2 inch
> spacing between turns of 1/4inch hollow pipe, do you measure
> form the "center" of the hollow pipe or from its surface?

You measure the actual air gap between the surfaces of the
conductor. If you want 1/2 inch spacing you would use a wooden
dowel 1/2 inch thick to space the turns: remove the measurement
tool {the 1/2 inch dowel} and you will have a 1/2 inch air gap.

To figure total turns per inch you would add in the width of the
conductor to the air space. If you were using 1/4 inch OD tubing
with a 1/2 inch air space you are going to get one complete turn
for every 3/4 inch of winding.

Typically I never use more than 1/2 inch air space between
primary turns at the highest voltages {20kv+}.

Hope this helps!

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12