[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paper Capacitors

Tesla List wrote:

> >From i541771-at-imsday-dot-comWed Sep  4 22:29:18 1996
> Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 19:33:24 +0000
> From: Chris Singletary <i541771-at-imsday-dot-com>
> Reply to: single-at-imsday-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Paper Capacitors
>
> In defence of the bottles used by Tesla, they were perfect for adding
> and subtracting capacitance to "fine tune" his coil and to study the
> difference capacitance / inductance had on his circuits. Show me an
> easier way to add and subtract capacitance in minor increments. It
> was and is cheaper to make than  "store" bought caps and less time
> consuming than making other types. He did however also use plate glass
> capacitors. Pat No. 567,818 Fig. 2 with an electrolyte solution as
> well. Also.. chalk up one for doing it the historical way. One note:
> You need to pick a good champaine bottle that is free of air bubbles.
>
> Chris Singletary
> Believe that you CAN accomplish the impossible and you shall.
> >From i541771-at-imsday-dot-comWed Sep  4 22:30:02 1996
> Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 19:45:31 +0000
> From: Chris Singletary <i541771-at-imsday-dot-com>
> Reply to: single-at-imsday-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Salt water caps, was earth resonance
>
> I can't believe you guys neglect to add the fact that NOTHING is as
> good for making the minor increments he wanted to research as
> "bottle" caps! Add a little more salt water and the bottle sinks
> alittle more and WALAH a little more capacitance! Also.. because the
> salt water was a liquid it is more forgiving that
> milar/polyeurathane/etc. caps today. I mean come on.. he was
> experimenting. If he blew a hole in a anything other THAN a liquid
> filled cap then both money and effort just got wasted. Alot of
> guys here are new to the field and bottle caps are cheap and so what
> if one or two has a dielectric breakdown?
>
> Chris Singletary
> member - TCBA
> Believe that you CAN accomplish the impossible and you shall.

Chris I agree,
	Most of the capacitor banks I use today are the commercial
types. But, I still use a single bottle salt water 500 pF cap in my
lab. I've had this thing since college, and I still use it today in
safeguarding my power supplies. Its still the lowest cost, energy
sponge I can find. And as far as safety is concerned, I've placed mine
in a large plastic cup. Even if the cap. blows, glass-saltwater-vinyl
tape and all, are not going to harm anyone.

	For anyone wanting a filter cap for there neon transformer. A
salt water cap is a good RF absorber that can be made easily, while
maintaining good results.

	I do have one question though that I would like to impose on the
community. I've read some previous E-Mail listings, where the sender
makes a reference to his salt water caps glowing. Unless the reference
is to corona outside the caps. Is there a phenomena that I've never
observed in a salt water cap, that I should be aware of?

D. Gowin