[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Big Triode Tubes

Tesla List wrote:

> >From gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.milWed Sep  4 22:09:53 1996
> Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 09:10:56 -0500
> From: Dan Gowin <gowin-at-epic-1.nwscc.sea06.navy.mil>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Big Triode Tubes

> > Big snips,

> > >         I was thinking about buying a Svetlana 4CX1600B High Performance
> > > Tetrode. Its a ceramic/Metal Tetrode that can disipate up to 1600
> > >
> > >         I'll also get that catalog from Vacuum Tube Industries.
> > >         Any comments are always welcome.
> > >
> > > Large round red HV caps. Burn baby burn.
> > > D. Gowin
> >
> > D.
> >
> > I have seen that John Freau (tube coil guy) has acquired a pair of
> > ceramic Eimac Tetrodes in the 4CX25,000 class.  The problem is the
> > filament power at several hundred amps!!  Gotta wind your own Xfrmer!
> >
> > Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> Richard,
>         How about an ARC welder! I'm being sarcastic, the tube I'm
> looking at is 7.5 V at 100 Amps on the filament. I'll probably use
> a balanced neon for the plate, but I'll need to experiment and find
> what filament currents will work. I already recognize that if the
> current is to low, it will take forever to heat the tube.
>
> Big, Red, HV capacitors. Burn baby burn.
> D. Gowin

D.,

The best thing for high current filament transformers providing high
voltage insulation is no needed (grounded grid operation) is to dismantle
a 20 amp variac core and hand wind 0 gauge wire around the doughnut core
 I have made a nice cute little 5 VAC c.t. 400 amp fil source from this
arrangement.

Richard Hull, TCBOR