[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

Tesla List wrote:

> >From richard.quick-at-slug-dot-orgThu Sep  5 06:58:51 1996
> Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 04:37:00 GMT
> From: Richard Quick <richard.quick-at-slug-dot-org>
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging
>
> Quoting Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>:
>
> > Another Thanks to Bert, Richard, Dan and Ed for the advice on
> > my coil problems.  It's helped me to go another step forward on
> > my Tesla education.
>
> Hey, no problem. Advice is cheap here.
>
> > I did succeed in getting things back together and also raised
> > the primary 1/2".  I ran the system Friday night and it
> > really worked better than ever.  Today I raised the primary to
> > 1" above the original point and I was planning on running
> > again.
>
> Since your previous post indicated a problem with overcoupling, I
> assume you actually raised the secondary and decreased the
> coupling coefficient...?
>
> > Another item has been noticed.  I have a 30 foot flexible
> > power cord that runs into one of those dryer outlet type plug
> > housings, which I mounted on the outside of my power box in
> > order to plug the welder into it.  It is wired so that when I
> > plug in the welder, it is in series with one of the hot leads.
> > I jury-rigged a connection from this plug housing by running
> > out two number 16 leads to my stove elements for the resistive
> > part of the setup.  These two number 16 leads run out through
> > the same opening that the incoming 240 VAC power line goes in.
> > Arcing has occurred from that area, leaving a brown smokey mark
> > on the 240 VAC power cord.  Apparently the RFI filters aren't
> > stopping enough RF as far as I can tell.  I plan to rewire this
> > setup before another run.  I couldn't find a acceptasble plug
> > and socket today, maybe tomorrow.
>
> Not uncommon. Sometimes the RFI filters work fine, but the wiring
> picks up sufficient RF from the field flux that arcing between
> conductors becomes a problem. I have seen this more than once
> where conductors became highly charged and began arcing, even
> though they were not connected in any fashion to the coil,
> controls, or the mains... Like sections on my garage door, metal
> track lighting reflectors (ungrounded), stored spools of wire,
> etc..
>
> Richard Quick
>
> ... If all else fails... Throw another megavolt across it!
> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Richard:
	I may have to spend more time proof reading my posts--I'm not sure
which comment I made left the impression that I was overcoupled.  I have
not seen a single arc yet between the primary and secondary, or any sign
of sparking anywhere along the length of the secondary, which I
understand is a pretty clear clue of overcoupling??  I ended up with the
primary raised to increase coupling a total of 1 1/4" and my sparks are
the best so far.  I video taped two runs and I'm generally pleased with
the progress.  The stationary gap is suffering at this point.  I built
it with the gaps "close" to .028" each but now they vary from .014" to
.041".  I used 3" lengths of 1.5" O.D. copper couplings not tube.  They
have apparently stress relieved themselves with the heat and now have a
changed shape.  They were both bolted and epoxied into position in the
PVC tube.  I'm in the process of starting a new stationa gap system with
a vacuum cleaner motor.  More later, thanks for the feedback.

Chuck