[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Losses

At 04:25 AM 9/25/96 +0000, you wrote:
>From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comTue Sep 24 22:21:55 1996
>Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:18:51 -0700
>From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Gap Losses
>
>9/24/96
>
>Has anyone ever experimentally measured gap losses?  Where and in what
>form is this energy lost from the primary circuit?  Is this energy
>merely heat, light and other forms of EM energy?  Can it be measured
>and analysed or is it merely assumed to be the difference between
>energy input into the tank circuit minus energy coupled to the
>secondary coil?
>

>RWW

Richard -

If you could measure this loss it is interesting to speculate on what you
would find.
In the Tesla Coil Notebook a computer printout is shown for a typical 1000
watt input coil. The overall efficiency is 31 percent and the RMS voltage is
9020 volts. The maximum losses are, therefore, (1000)x(1-.31) = 690 watts.
Assuming half of the losses are in the spark gap, the gap losses are 690 x
.5 = 345 watts. If the current thru the spark gap is measured it should be
about 345/9020 = .038 amps or 38 ma RMS. Is there anyone who would like to
try this? I would be willing to send them a JHCTES computer printout on
their coil to give them the necessary information for this test.

What are your comments? Do you have a better method of solving this problem?

Jack Couture