[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primaries

The method outlined for measuring gap voltage has never provided very accurate
results for us, because the voltage range of the measurement is too large.
If the scope is set to display the entire voltage waveform with an off state
voltage of say 10,000 volts, the on state voltage of ~100 volts will be so low
that the scope won't measure it accurately.  On the other hand, if we set the
scope gain up to measure the on state voltage more accurately, the amplifier
overloads again givie false information. We usually measure switch drop by
operating the device in a circuit whose impedances are well known.  Then by
measuring the rate of decay of the decremental current wave, the total circuit
resistance can be computed.  The switch resistance is then the difference
between the total resistance and the known circuit resistance.  Using this
method we get switch resistances between 0.05 and 0.2 ohms for our line of gas
filled triggered spark gaps.

David Lockwood