[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Rotary gap flame-around

Subject:
        Rotary gap flame-around
  Date:
        Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:11:06 -0700
  From:
        "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:
        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

For what it's worth:

We have never experienced rotary gap flame around and we always run a
1/2
in. dia. rotary electrode with a 1" dia. fixed electrode at 1725 and
3450
RPM.

We only noticed this on one occasion when we used a lot of inductance
and a
rather small value of capacitance (ie, 10-12 turns on pri. with .025 MFD
cap).  We usually run 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 turns inductance and add cap
necessary
to bring everything into tune.

The RSG has 4 actual sparkgaps -- 2 on each side of the rotating wheel
(usually 12 in. dia).

A lot of experimenters are using more inductance and less cap and I do
understand it is easier on the caps.  This could be the cause of the
reported flame around problems.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net