[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: K Factor & Mutual Inductance

       Date:
            Wed, 2 Apr 1997 14:08:26 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

John,
       I'm going to have to throw all my textbooks away :( after
reading this....

> One equation for the mutual inductance of air core concentric solenoids
> is
> shown in Terman's "Radio Engineers Handbook". Once the mutual inductance
> Lm
> is found the K Factor can be found by the equation
>           K Factor = Lm/(sqrt(LpLs))
> where Lp and Ls are the inductances of the primary and secondary coils.

That equation is good for any coil - air-cored, iron cored or
whatever? There are no conditions stated by Terman or anyone else to
my knowledge (except JHC perhaps ;)

> Note that the K Factor or coupling is not only dependent on the physical
> location of the coils but also on several other parameters such as
> resonant
> frequency, Q Factor, log decrement, etc.

Where is the frequency dependence in that equation? Lp? Ls? M? k? I've
not observed any frequency dependence in Lp or Ls from DC to TC
frequencies in all the measurements I've done. So it must be in k or
M, right? But what defines either of those? Is the number of flux
linkages between two coils frequency dependent? Why?

Malcolm