[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: glass laminate - Bah, Humbug...

      Date:
           Fri, 04 Apr 1997 21:19:40 -0800
      From:
           Greg Leyh <lod-at-pacbell-dot-net>
        To:
           Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

"Daryl P. Dacko" wrote:

[snip]

> I'm thinking about trying a 'hot' rotor design, using a ten inch
> in diameter, one inch thick aluminum plate, mounted on bearings
> attached to some one inch thick lexan supports.
>
> I'm planning to use some thick walled rubber hose with a plastic
> rod in the center as an insulated flexable coupling.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this type of design ?

I have been using aluminum rotors on aluminum hubs on a phenolic
shaft for quite some time now, with no problems.  The axial
voltage stress down the shaft is about 3kV/in.  The shaft surface
is ribbed like an insulator, in order to resist surface flashover.
The bearing supports are phenolic plate, as well.

-GL