[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mysteries to a newcomer

  Date:
        Wed, 9 Apr 1997 03:48:49 -0700
  From:
        "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:
        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

To: Gary Lau

Will try to give you some "general" advise on your questions.

An ignition transformer will work, but a neon sign transformer usually
works better because it has a higher current rating.  Ignition
transformers
are typically 20 ma current and neons typically 30 ma, 60ma, or 120 ma.

Use a .005 MFD cap to match up with a 30 ma. transformer, .01 MFD to
match
60 ma., and .02 MFD to match a 120 ma. unit.  Most neon transformers are
either 9 KV or 12 KV units.  There is also 15 KV units, so use whatever
you
can get for around $10 used from a local neon shop.  Sometimes if you
describe your project in detail to the shop owner or manager they will
"donate" one to a worthy cause --- at least it's worth a try!

Both Bert Pool and Skip Greiner have posted designs in this Tesla list
that
are very effective.  Ask either for the data and I'm sure you will be
well
on your way to a very efficient coil design.

A small 10 Amp variac is a good idea for tuneup.  You might be able to
borrow one for a few days from a local tech school, university, or even
large TV repair shop.

Hope this data helps you out.  Always unplug you unit for each tune and
be
careful!!!

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net