[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: A *Perfect* Tesla Coil

  Date:
        Wed, 09 Apr 1997 12:51:00 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi Robert W Stephens, All,
That sounds awsome.   I wish I could see that.  Videos??

I've seen something like that before once in the University
of Maryland Physics lecture hall.  A person demoed a
Tesla coil that ran in pulse mode.  He used a 5 electrode
(4 gaps) subdivided (~1/8") gap with 3 inch diameter
elkonite hemispheres screwed to  5 inch diameter
aluminum plates 1/4 inch thick.  The plates
were held apart with modified 6 inch pvc couplers.  The
capacitor was of unknown size (mica radar pulse?). The
secondary was of the same design as mine- 6" X  27"
X 5 lbs of #18 B&S gauge magnet wire (this is where
I got my dimensions).  The primary consisted of 2 turns
of #0 welding cable wound directly on the secondary at
the bottom!!!   The transformer was unidentified.  The
power source was 220 VAC.

The discharge was about 8 feet long.  The streamer
consisted of a 1" thick trunk about 4-5' long with
a fan of streamerlettes about 4" long and 3-5"
across.  The streamers took several seconds to form.
The sound was like rapid gunfire (staccato).  When
one of the streamers approached me in the
audience the hair on my arm jumped straight up.

120 Hz resonance?

Barry