[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A *Perfect* Tesla Coil

  Date:
        Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:14:43 -0500
  From:
        "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Stanley Harle wrote:

>         I hate to disagree with you, especially since you have achieved
> results so far beyond mine as to make my achievements laughable, but
> Richard Quick  (where'd you go, dude?), who used to be on the USA-TESLA
> list and others, produced 60" plus from a conventional 2 coil system
> using
> an air-blast, 2 electrode gap.  There used to be plans for them in the
> archives, but I haven't been through _those_ in about a year and a half.
>         I have always wondered why this gap system hadn't come into
> popular use, and also where Richard went, since he used to be a fixture
> on
> this and the FIDO net electronics echo.
>
> Stan Harle
> Alamogordo, NM

Stan, All,

There's really nothing to disagree with.  I achieved 132 inches using a
two
gap, medium velocity forced air gap (and not nearly as much
pressure/velocity as
obtainable with an air compressor and nozzle). Furthermore this distance
was not stretched to see how far the streamers could actually go in this
static gap
mode, the toroids were placed close enough that the connecting plasma
channel
was continuous, hot and heavy!  Individual wandering streamers from each
tower also reached out touching targets as far as 96 measured straight
line inches
away.

I acknowledge that Richard Quick, noted modern Tesla coil pioneer has
done
some fine coiling work.  Your performance example of his 60 inches plus
with a twin static gap is pretty good, but it is apparently not now
current
state of the art.  I don't care if someone out there matches my
accomplishment
insofar as even if everybody does it, this level of performance for a
system of
the size and power input as my new small twin will still be an example
of
synergy in its most advanced and elusive state (given the present state
of the art
of Tesla coiling).

The facts speak for themselves.  I've built a darned terrific modified
classical coil
system that worked like a sonofabitch the first time I plugged it in and
I didn't
even warm up a 4 function calculator in the design process. From
conception to first light was only about a week and a half.  Half of
this time was waiting for varathane to dry (this is the first time
I've ever bothered to seal my PVC forms).
The only way to upstage this is to demonstrate a system that beats it!
Don't
say you hate to disagree with me, do something with hardware and show
me!
Tesla coiling belongs to the experimenters.

Away on extended visit in coiling heaven and thinking of staying,
rwstephens