[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A *Perfect* Tesla Coil

  Date:
        Sat, 12 Apr 1997 20:58:00 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        Benson_Barry%PAX5-at-mr.nawcad.navy.mil
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Stanley Harle wrote:

> > > gap static quench gap!  The system was quenching just fine at 8 KVA
> > > from an 18,000 volt RMS pole pig type transformer!
> > > This quenching was able to continue until the copper electrodes got
> > > I have NEVER witnessed a static gap of any kind, especially one with
> > > as few as two spark gaps in series, quench and operate superbly on a
> > > T.C. at anything anywhere near even 1/3rd of  8 kVA,... NEVER!
> >
> > > My conclusion is that I have achieved synergy in its most advanced
> > > and most elusive state with this new Twin TC.

>         I hate to disagree with you, especially since you have achieved
> results so far beyond mine as to make my achievements laughable, but
> Richard Quick  (where'd you go, dude?), who used to be on the USA-TESLA
> list and others, produced 60" plus from a conventional 2 coil system
> using
> an air-blast, 2 electrode gap.  There used to be plans for them in the
> archives, but I haven't been through _those_ in about a year and a half.

On this subject: In 1964 Werner Heise, an engineer at the AEG High
Voltage
Institute in Kassel, Germany, built a huge 4 meter tall coil that
consumed
well over 100,000 watts and could throw arcs over 7 meters in total
length.
I was surprised to learn that he used a simple 2 electrode static gap,
with
a supersonic blast of air directed across it, in order to quench the
arc.

The gap is described only as "two cylindrical electrodes with constant
tips
which may be changed with regard to the distance from each other.  By
means
of a strong blast of air blown diagonally across the arc, the number of
ig-
nitions per unit time are increased".

 -GL