[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: gap questions

       Date:
            Mon, 14 Apr 1997 01:28:54 +0500
       From:
            Jeremy Bair <pwac-at-flinet-dot-com>
         To:
            Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:
>         gap questions
>   Date:
>         Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:16:07 -0500
>   From:
>         Mike Hammer <mhammer-at-misslink-dot-net>
>     To:
>         Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> Hello all,
>
> After seemingly finding the power limit of
> my RQ style gap made from rather small electrodes
> I decided to build a larger version and help with
> the quenching by pulling hi speed air through the teeth of the gap
> with a strong vacuum cleaner motor.
>
> The gap by itself works better than my old gap probably
> because of the larger electrodes but when I pull the air
> through with the vacuum motor things begin to act differently.
>
> I normally get about 34 inches of spark from a 16 X 4 toroid
> and running 12kv/90ma neon with my old gap. The new gap gets me
> up to 38 inches. When the vacuum motor is running I get shorter
> streamers but more of them. I was using a foil bump on the toroid
> to direct the discharge and was getting only a single streamer.
> Now I get 2 or 3 streamers even with a very pronounced foil bump.
>
> Also I get some splitting and sparks from the middle of the secondary
> that disappear when the vacuum motor is turned off.
>
> I feel the coil is processing more power with the vacuum gap
> but I need to know how to get back to a single streamer.
> Should I reduce the coupling a bit by raising the secondary?
>
> Is there something here that I'm missing?

Sounds like your vacuum motor is dissrupting your natural fireings by
breaking up the arc before it gets enough time to dump the tank, so it
is not allowing your primary to fully ring. You may want to space more
gaps apart, and lower the speed of the motor. Or convert to a rotary gap
instead of a static gap :(.

You probably hear more noise that sounds like a dissrupted arc (Like
when you blow on a Jacob's Ladder)? But then again, you might have so
many fireings that it is inaudible.