[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: secondary questions

Subject:  Re: secondary questions
  Date:   Fri, 18 Apr 1997 06:54:41 -0700
  From:   "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hi Bert:

The main function of the polyurethane is to seal the coil from any
molecular level water adhesion/cohesion to the secondary coilform and/or
wire.  A better solution is to use Dolph's fast dry varnish (especially
formulated for HV work) -- known as Dolph's AC-43.  This will seal the
wires and cement them rock hard.  We usually sand the coilform first,
then
apply to layers of Dolph's, then wind the coil, and finish up with 5
more
thin layers of Dolph's allowing a full 24 hrs to dry between each
application.  The result is a bullet-proof secondary that is completely
unaffected by molecular water adhesion.

On high performance coils with sec. spark exceeding the sec. coil length
by
more than 25% we usually incorporate an acrylic disk inside the sec.
coil
about 5 inches below the business end.  Seal in place with a healthy
dose
of GE II silicon calking seal (clear -- never use the black -- curing
problems).

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net