[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Primaries and Copper Tubing

Subject:  RE: Primaries and Copper Tubing
  Date:   Fri, 18 Apr 97 22:26:19 UT
  From:  "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

The method I used to make a flat pankake was painless, but maybe a bit
more
expensive than the one ken smith proposed:
1. use acrylic sheet for base plate - it's an insulator to start out
with - I
used 1/4 inch X2ft square - cost a bit under $30
2. glue a 1/2 inch length of 6 inch pipe (or acrylic tubing) in the
exact
center to form the inner diameter of the coil
3. drill a hole through the acrylic next to the 6 inch pipe for your
inner
feed
4. pull pipe (about 18" of it) through the hole and fold on both sides
to lie
flat - make about a 1.5 inch radius bend to avoid an ugly looking (and
maybe
electrically bad?) kink
5. wrap a turn of pipe around the 6" pipe.  start the spiral outwards so
you
clear the beginning by 1/4 inch.
6. make a whole bunch of 1/4" spacers - I used 1/4 inch square acrylic
stock -
it cost about a dollar for 6 feet - get two 6ft lengths, cut to 1/4 to
3/8
inch long for spacers.
7. glue the spacers around the pipe you have laid down.  I used solvent
based
glue - it sticks quickly and is much stronger than hot melt, and doesn't
stick
to your fingers like cyanoacrilate (superglue).  A spacer every 30
degrees or
4 to 5 inches seems to work fine.
8. repeat for each turn - I used a large "clothespin" type welding clamp
hold one turn tightly against the previous while the glue dried.  I made
2 or
3 turns a day for a week.  I stopped when I ran out of pipe (50 ft) at
13.5
turns
9. grind a 1.5 inch piece of the acrylic stock so one end will fit
inside the
outer end of the pipe while the other end will lie flat against the
base.  Use
this to hold the end of the pipe down.
10. glue 3 or 4 pieces of acrylic radially from the inner piece of 6inch
pipe
across the top of the coil to the outer edge.  Glue the radial pieces to
the
inner pipe and all the spacers that it crosses.  This will keep the coil
from
falling off (embarassing).

I was thinking about how to do this cheaper - came up with this idea -
use 3/4
pvc pipe - put a 1/4 inch dado blade in the table saw.  make 6 (or 8)
lengths
of pipe that are 12" long (average) and whose length differs overall by
1/2
inch - e.g. for 1/4 pipe on 1/4 spacing with 8 lengths, each length will
be
1/16 longer than the previous - you will start at 11 3/4 and end at 12
1/4.
Now, stick all of the pipes together, set the dado for a 3/8 inch deep
cut and
make a cut every half inch along the set of 8 pipes.  When you then take
the
ends of the pipe that faced away from the fence and glue them to the
piece of
6 inch pipe you will use for an inside radius, the notches will form a
nice
spiral.  And, since the notches are fairly deep, there should be no
problem
getting the pipe to stay in the notches - a scrap of PVC pipe with some
PVC
glue could secure the pipe if you wish.