[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Opt. Qnch. update--loss of synergism

Subject:        Re: Opt. Qnch. update--loss of synergism
       Date:    Fri, 11 Apr 1997 09:57:55 -0700
       From:    Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
         To:    Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

 All,

<SNIP>

> Adjusted sync-gap phase for more power input, now neon trans draws 11A
> at 240
> V, (2640 VA), multiple streamers are produced, and sparks reach 65"+.  I
> tried adding external ballast to this 15kV, 60ma neon trans, but it
> still
> draws a lot of power, and sparks are greatly weakened.  In general,
> quenching
> occurs on the second notch, but moves to the third notch when a streamer
> strikes a ground.
>
> Synergy, where are you?
> ---------
> And a question for Skip.... How many microseconds does it take for your
> free
> ringdown to decay to 10% when first notch quenching occurs in your
> system?
>       Thanks.
> ---------
> John Freau

John,

I'm just amazed at this single 15 KV 60 MA neon's performance! I've got
a couple you can work on over here!  65" streamers off a single 15-60 is
not shabby at all! Sounds like you ARE seeing synergy with this single
trannie! :^)

The other thing that's interesting is the observed quenching at the
third notch when a streamer strikes ground. Were these heavy ground
discharges to the strike-rail? When my toroid discharges to ground
(typically during the first notch), I see no more notches at all for
that particular "bang", since almost all the secondary's energy was
rapidly "zapped" to ground. Were these ground hits to a poorer ground
(like the concrete floor?)

Very interesting!!

-- Bert H --