[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ARchive of tube specs?

Subject:   Re: ARchive of tube specs?
  Date:   Sun, 20 Apr 1997 18:19:29 +0500
  From:   "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

On Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 19:14:39 +0300 (EET DST) Kristian Ukkonen
<kukkonen-at-cc.hut.fi> wrote;

> Hello everyone,
>
> I recently got an idea of starting to scan specs-sheets of tubes and put
> them available to the 'net. Here I mean tubes that are of use for HV
> work/hobbies - triodes/tetrodes/thyrathrons/ x-ray/ignitrons/etc. - and
> are rare to find.

I think it's a GREAT IDEA, Kristian! Only I am not sure that this is
the appropriate place to put it, then again where would be an
appropriate place to put it? I'd love to see specks for geiger mueler
tubes if anyone knows where to find the info. Several years ago I
started a tube substitution database for receiving tubes, it would be
great to have that kind of info on special purpose tubes as well. I
never really tried searching the net for this kind of information, one
should check first rather than possible duplicating the effort or
perhaps find a tube data base that exists for say receiving or
communication tubes and build on it and extending it into the realm of
special purpose tubes and the like!

> My plans include scanning the specs sheets to JPG pics. That way the
> filesize will be rational and JPG is a universal format most programs
> can read and comprehend. Postscript, where applicable, will be used as well.

I don't know what you mean when you say "That way the filesize will
be rational..", but .JPG's take a LOT more space then ASCII text
which is native to almost all the presently used computers, the only
difference between most computers in handling ASCII is the handling
of carriage returns and linefeeds and that is easily dealt with by the
end user. As for Postscript - it's a real pain! even with the
availability of Ghost script it is far from easy to deal with! I find
almost all Postscript files next to impossible to read on screen thus
forcing all the files to be printed just to make sense of them, This
is a needles waste of paper and printer life! The .GIF format is the
closest to a universal format, with .JPG rapidly catching up. There
are GOOD viewers for both of them on every platform in use!

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/