[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CP Capacitors

Subject:       CP Capacitors
       Date:   Tue, 22 Apr 1997 15:15:00 +1200
       From:   "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hello all,
           I am delighted to inform list members that after months of
waiting, I finally fax'd Condenser Products to find out what had
happened to my caps. I must have sounded sufficiently alarmed in the
faxes I sent preceeding my returning the caps to them. I received a
reply today which says in part:

    "The units were tested and passed all tests. However, we decided
to redesign the internal build of the unit and rebuild the units."

     I made it absolutely clear to them what I expected these units
to stand up to in service. I'm betting they used their own tests
rather than the somewhat more telling ones I asked them to use. Be
that as it may, I take great delight in commending the company for
its assistance and concern and look forward to some serious coiling
in a month or so.
     As list members who were on at the time will remember, one of my
units suddenly gained a significant amount of capacitance in a run
and set fire to a secondary (wound with litz no less). My guess was
that a short developed in one of the internal units. This was
around the time that two others exploded in use (not in my setup
luckily). They have cost me somewhat more than I anticipated
(including an extra set of postal charges) but I think it will be
worth it.
     I have a worthy resonator waiting in the wings for these babies
together with a not-yet-fired rotary gap plus a million experiments
to be done.

Onwards and upwards,
Malcolm

P.S. I'd better fork out for some decent pipe for a high-L primary
now :(