[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank Capacitance: what is the limit

Subject:  Re: Tank Capacitance: what is the limit
  Date:   Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:46:23 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
    To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

<<
 You can. However, the more capacitance you add, the less primary coil
 you will have. The Q of the primary will depend more and more heavily
 on the quality of the conductor used to make it. Also, for the same
 cap voltage your gap losses will increase as the primary currents
 become heavier (equivalent to losing Q). Also, the loading on the
 transformer becomes heavier. To charge a larger cap quickly needs
 less current limiting - something that is difficult to adjust with a
 neon.

 My 2 cents,
 Malcolm

Malcolm,

I agree.  As the capacitor gets larger, larger and more expensive
(higher
current rating) transfromers will be required.  As the capacitor gets
larger,
the primary must get smaller to maintain resonance.  From my experience,
small primaries are not very efficient.

Ed Sonderman