[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Primary Coil Shape (square)

Subject:  RE: Primary Coil Shape
  Date:   Sat, 26 Apr 97 04:03:28 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

I posted the text of the popular electronics (1964) article that had the
square primary - it's probably in the list archieves somewhere.  I
scanned the
article into MS word (word 97) and mailed it out to a bunch of people -
maybe
someone put it on their web site???  Anyway, the general consensus from
the
list was that the design was terrible.  I built it twice and it didn't
work
either time.  I built the same thing a third time using a flat 1/4 inch
copper
tubing primary and a secondary of half the number of turns in the
article and
it's working (not well like the "real" coils on this list, but it
works).  The
square shape is for esthetics and can't help but degrade the magnetic
field.