[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: sign xformer parameters for a particular Tesla coil?

Subject:  Re: sign xformer parameters for a particular Tesla coil?
  Date:   Mon, 28 Apr 1997 00:03:31 -0700
  From:  "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:  "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hello Owen:

The basics go something like this:  You match the impedance of the neon
xmfr with the impedance of the capacitor (capacitive reactance at 60
HZ).
A 30 ma xmfr matches to approx. a .005 MFD cap and a 60 ma xmfr matches
approx. to a .01 MFD cap.  Step two is to match the resonant freq of the
primary circuit (combination of cap and primary inductor) such that the
resonant freq. will match the resonant freq. of the secondary inductor
with
HV terminal attached.  If all this sounds like Greek your best bet would
be
to use a proven design to start with.  Several books are out on the
subject
and John Couture's Tesla Coil Handbook is one of the best with lots of
charts and graphs to guide you in your design.  You can reach him at
619-578-6376.  You might also wish to join the TCBA (Tesla Coil Builders
Association) which publishes a quarterly newsletter that is very
informative.  Contact Harry Goldman at 518-792-1003 for more
information.

Good luck.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net