[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Oil-immersed RFCs

From: 	DR.RESONANCE[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, August 31, 1997 9:41 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Oil-immersed RFCs

To: Felix

The oil immersion is not necessary.  The peak spikes are no where near 60
kv IF you keep the spark gap in parallel with the feed transformer.  At
sparking this represents a short across the transformer and the spikes are
usually below 20 KV in smaller systems.  A standard 6 inch long piece of 1
1/2 inch dia plastic (delrin, etc) works fine -- cut 1/2 inch deep x 1/4
inch wide notches and space them 1/4 inch apart.  Wind #24 or 26 AWG into
each notch which gives approx 100 turns per notch.  Wind 5-6 notches so you
have a 500-600 turn inductor.  Use a small HF toroid wound with 10-12 turns
of #16-18 AWG PVC insulated wire.  Use this in series with the aircore
inductor with the ferrite core toroid attached to the xmfr bushing.
Additional protection can be provided by a 10 to 100 Ohm resistor (25-50 w)
in series with these two inductors.  We have never had one of the above
described systems fail in over 30 years of active coil building --- and we
only lost two neons -- actually probably because they were used and perhaps
bad to start with.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net