[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: Rotary Gap

From: 	Edward J. Wingate[SMTP:ewing7-at-frontiernet-dot-net]
Reply To: 	ewing7-at-frontiernet-dot-net
Sent: 	Saturday, August 02, 1997 10:55 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Rotary Gap

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Rod,

DO NOT, under any circumstances use acrylic plastic ( plexiglas ) for a
spark gap rotor. Acrylic cracks and shatters rather easily and is an
accident waiting for a place to happen when used as a rotary gap rotor.
Even small flaws from drilled or tapped holes will develop into cracks
as the material ages. Just the thought of a plexiglas rotor makes me
shudder!

I build and sell rotary gaps and the only material I ever use is G-10
glass epoxy. G-11 has a little better heat resistance but is quite a bit
more expensive. IMHO there is no better material for rotors except for
steel or aluminum which leaves one with the added problem of insulating
the rotor from the motor. Lexan can be used, but melts at a much lower
temperature than G-10 and overheated rotor studs can work loose. I
regularly spin the 10" rotor on the series rotary gap I use on my
magnifier at 7600 RPM or better ( verified with an infrared strobe tach)
with no problems. A couple years ago while prototyping a 10" synchronous
gap, I crashed and dead stopped a G-10 rotor with 1/2" tungsten studs
from 3600 RPM on a 2 HP motor. The rotor was trashed because of cracks
around the stud holes but was otherwise intact. The stuff is just about
bullet proof!

So, if you want to do it safely, spring for the bucks for a piece of
G-10 or for a few bucks less a piece of Lexan, but please don't use
plexiglas.

Safe Coiling,

Ed Wingate