[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Skin Effect

From: 	Robert Davis[SMTP:RE.Davis-at-btinternet-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, August 03, 1997 9:27 AM
To: 	'Tesla List'
Subject: 	RE: Skin Effect

Dear DR.RESONANCE,

Sorry the calculation was not clear.  I used the X as multiplication.
In the second calculation for effective wire resistance the skin depth
term varies with frequency.  Also the lower case r was a typing
mistake.  The ^ symbol meaning, to the power of.  The 66 in the first
formula becomes 0.066 after converting skin depth in mm to meters.
The full equation is given below (without multiplication symbols)
after substituting the first formula for the skin depth term:

Dynamic Resistance = L/C((PiR^2)-(Pi(R-(0.066/sqrt(F)))^2))

Where:
	F = Frequency (Hz)
	L = Length of wire (m)
	R = Radius of Conductor (m)
	C = Conductivity of copper = 5.8 x 10^7
	Pi = 3.1415927

In the above I use sqrt() as the square root function.

Is this correct?

Thank you for your reply, Rob Davis (UK)