[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Re: The Next Coil

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Monday, August 04, 1997 3:03 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- Re: The Next Coil

        If I may so suggest -- I believe you need to do  =a lot=   more
        basic study before attempting practical high-voltage work of
        any kind:

        For all ordinary purposes, every transformer that ever there
        was is an  =ac=  operated device.  Hence, your request is a
        contradiction in terms.

                    For the sake of completeness -- there are
                    transformers intended to transform pulsating
                    dc.   Such however are rare items and rather
                    inefficient at best.  The pulsating dc is
                    equivalent to an ac wave riding atop a dc bias.
                    Only the ac component is transformed.  The dc
                    component only serves to saturate the trans-
                    former core, greatly reducing overall efficiency.

                                        Robert Michaels,

                                        ac/dc (whatever makes your
                                        spark jump) in -- Detroit, USA

        P.S.: Perhaps you mean an induction coil?   By a proper
        stretch of the imagination, these could be considered
        as pulsating dc high-voltage "transformers".  Induction
        coils are very readily available from manufacturers and
        distributors of scientific apparatus for schools.  See
        "Thomas' Register of Manufacturers" under "scientific
        apparatus".   They are  =not=  inexpensive by  any
        measure although one should last your entire lifetime.