[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: AC--->DC

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Monday, August 04, 1997 3:51 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: AC--->DC

" I am thinking about trying this also. I have a 15Kv 60 ma neon and
some good 30Kv 1.5 amp diode stacks. I do not think it will work well
with a noen because we seem to be relying on resonant charging to get
us past the current limiting."
	I have looked at using one half-wave voltage doubler on
each terminal of a neon transformer, with the outputs of each doubler
connected in parallel.  This gives you DC with the bottom (negative
for tradition's sake) at the center tap or case connection, hence
groundable.  You can definitely get resonant charging effects, due
to the capacitors in the doubler circuit!  Should dig out the
simulator file and publish results.  My conclusion was that safety
gaps are as essential in this type of operation as they are in
conventional AC charging.
Ed