[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flat stacked series caps

From: 	Rick Holland[SMTP:rickh-at-ghg-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, August 06, 1997 1:47 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Flat stacked series caps

Tesla List wrote:
<GIGANTIC SNIP>
  I have thought

--
Although I have not tried this, it has been my intention from the
information I gathered here to go with a flat stacked series-parallel
arrangement. I intended to have two to three stacked series sets in a
single container separated by thick plexiglass paralelled with an exact
copy (perhaps in a balanced "push-pull" arrangement). I have just today
obtained several sheets of aluminum used in the printing business which
seem to be just the right thickness; strong enough to bolt together, but
soft enough to cut with scissors. My main concern right now is how I
will buff the edges.
I also have very little knowledge of different types of plastic. I have
a portion of a roll of plastic that is used at work to cover electronic
equipment in case of disaster to prevent water contamination. This looks
like the standard plastic sheeting you can get at any hardware store for
use as a painting tarpaulin. I don't have a micrometer caliper, so I
don't know it's thickness, but I figured two to three layers just for
good luck. I can measure the capacitance after construction, but can't
calculate it before. Anyway, the idea of series capacitors has struck me
as a very good one for anyone who doesn't want to do the same thing over
again (I like to move on to a different experiment after the successful
completion of the first).

Above all, a series stacked capacitor is much less likely to cause harm
to person or property, and our first consideration is safety, isn't it?

      Rick Holland

      The Answer is 42