[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

neons & rsg

From: Daniel W. Hess                                pager; 214 910 8489
      1605 LBJ Fwy.                            Daniel Hess-at-Vnet.ibm-dot-com
      Dallas, TX  75234                          territory R21  B/O 519
Subject: neons & rsg

*** Reply to note of 08/09/97 15:05
To: SMTP2   --IINUS1

From: Daniel W. Hess                                pager; 214 910 8489
      1605 LBJ Fwy.                            Daniel Hess-at-Vnet.ibm-dot-com
      Dallas, TX  75234                          territory R21  B/O 519
I had one more question about synch gaps, but I accidentally deleted the
original post. I think it was John who explained to me how the synch gap
works, but you also said the phasing was trail and error. My question:
what exactly is the phasing - is it the phase angle (of the 60Hz signal)
that the gap fires at? If so does that mean that you adjust it by
rotating the rotor about the motor shaft until the contacts are firing
at the right spot? Surely there must be some part of the synch gap that
takes into account you res. freq. - everything you have told me so far
deals with 60Hz.

Still slightly unsure,

TES; I like to use the anology of a car engine's distributor; To adjust
the ignition timing, one loosens the distributor clamp and rotates the
entire distributor body to advance or retard the timing relative to the
engine's mechanical position at any given moment.

During synch operation, the motor body, field coils, armature, shaft and
finally the sparkgap rotor are all magnetically locked together. So if a.
provision is made to allow the motor housing to rotate within it's cradle
one could literally pick the point on the ac sinewave to coincide with
the mechanical allignment of the sparkgap points, (firing position.) And
if a provision is made for such rotation during actual TC operation, one
could "dial-in" such an adjustment on the fly.

Once upon a time I had envisioned a DC servo driven RSG that I could
"synch" to any speed I desired. The equivalent rpm of 30, 60, 120, 180
hertz would just be a matter of setting the controls to the desired rpm
and let the electronics lock-in on that speed. Would even be possible,
(and very easy,) to "nudge," the speed ahead or back of fraction of an
rpm so as to select a certain point on the ac sinewave on the fly.

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way, (with scr motor controls,) that
the delicate electronics involved to achieve such a device are vastly
overwhelmed when in the vicinity of the EMV involved with the operarion
of a rsg and just won't work.

Perhaps someday I will attemt a remote DC servo with a 6-8' long shaft
connected to a rsg assembly. If I enclosed the motor and associated
electronics in a sufficiently shielded metal enclosure I may find success
yet. But I have many lightning bolts to create first and so little time.

Daniel Hess

*** Reply to note of 08/08/97 13:31