[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primary coil windings

From: 	DR.RESONANCE[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, August 10, 1997 12:38 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: primary coil windings

To: Kevin

Almost any geometry will work but the trick is to set the coefficient of
coupling between the pri and sec inductors at a value of between 0.18 and
0.22.  Try 0.2 as a starting point.  This is achieved by raising your sec
coil with some scrap plywood about 1/4 inch at a time until you obtain best
spark output.

Many coils in the 8" dia and above seem to operate best with a flat spiral
primary.  Smaller coils in the 2-7 inch dia range seem to perform well with
a short solenoid type winding.  Keep the primary coilform dia at least 2.5
to 2.8 times the sec. dia to avoid overcoupling.

Tune for best spark output and enjoy!

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net