[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Parrafin wax

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Reply To: 	alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
Sent: 	Sunday, August 24, 1997 3:03 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Parrafin wax

On Sunday, August 24, 1997 5:59 AM Peter Electric
[SMTP:elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au] wrote;

> I have repaired one my neons and was wondering about re-potting it in
> Parrafin wax. Have any of you guys out there used parrafin for
> insulating purposes?  If not what other material is suitable?

Hi Peter! I've had some experience in both repotting neon sign
transformers and in using parrafin as an insulating compound.
The problem with using paraffin to repot a neon sign transformer
is it tends to shrink A LOT on cooling! I have found that by adding
some mineral oil to the paraffin while it is still in a liquid state
will minimize this. In the long run though I have found it best to
build a plexiglass case for the neon sign transformer and fill it
with mineral oil. The mineral oil being a liquid will fill the
internal voids much better than paraffin and also being a liquid, if
breakdown should occur it is self healing.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/