[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Parrafin wax

From: 	Gary Lau[SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, August 25, 1997 5:22 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Parrafin wax

> I have repaired one my neons and was wondering about re-potting it in
> Parrafin wax. Have any of you guys out there used parrafin for
> insulating purposes?  If not what other material is suitable?

In attempting to eliminate corona on some flat plate bypass caps I made,
I used Vaseline between the plates, the thought being that it's essentially
mineral oil but not runny, so I didn't have to enclose it in anything to
contain it.  This worked, no failures yet, but there were a few air bubbles.

I think the concept could be improved upon by melting the jelly first.
It has a very low melting point and is then a very low viscosity liquid.
The down side of course is wheeling a shopping cart full of Vaseline up to
the cashier...

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA