[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Static Air-blast gap.

From: 	Per Niva[SMTP:pna-at-pp.gellivare.se]
Sent: 	Wednesday, August 27, 1997 2:07 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Static Air-blast gap.

Phil Chalk wrote:

> Now here's the new bit.  The fixed electrode would be drilled
> right through down its central axis - about a 1/4" dia. hole.
> Compressed air would be blown through this hole; it would hit
> the face of the movable electrode, then be forced to exit from
> the edges of the gap - hopefully fairly evenly.

I had a similar idea, and asked about it on the usa-tesla list
while this list was down.  The concern is, would the sharp edges
of the hole in the electrode face alter the proberties of the
gap?  Perhaps there would be corona leakage from the sharp edges,
and the gap would fire easier than without the hole.
This was also what other people seemed to think.
Maybe one could round the sharp edges off?

Otherwise it seems like a good idea to me (what that might
be worth).

Just my 2p,

Per

pna-at-pp.gellivare.se                 +46 (0)970 20976
"Beware - the world will never be the same again..."