[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Losses

From: 	Greg Leyh[SMTP:lod-at-pacbell-dot-net]
Sent: 	Friday, August 29, 1997 1:11 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Gap Losses

DR.RESONANCE wrote:

> To: Greg
>
> Most curious as to why you selected a direct current power supply (if I am
> reading you posts correctly)?  Won't direct current provide additional
> quenching problems especially with the very high power level you are
> running??

No, if the resonant charging circuit is designed correctly.  As long as the
break rate does not exceed the maximum BPS rating of the resonant charger,
then the charging current in the reactor is _zero_ when the gap fires.

Proper timing is essential in a DC resonant charger, but it's well worth
the effort IMO.  To use an analogy, DC resonant charging on a TC provides
the same degree of control as fuel injection on an engine, compared to the
'normally aspirated' method of using uncontrolled leakage inductance and
wallplug impedance in order to define the capacitor charging curve.

Given the uncontrolled charging waveform and current surges of standard
AC charging methods it's no wonder that some coils, even small ones, will
often disturb or damage the electronics in a coiler's house.

How did you do the capacitor charging on your big 160kW job?

-GL