[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Old Capacitors

From: 	Alan Sharp[SMTP:100624.504-at-compuserve-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, December 01, 1997 4:46 AM
To: 	INTERNET:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Old Capacitors

Greetings all,

I've just aquired six 0.1uf 10kv DC capacitors.

They are 7" long, 1" diameter brown cylinders with stud terminals
marked Hivoltage Capacitors Limited
Londonderry N.Ireland
+8% ripple 50Hz
TPM 100-114

I was going to put 3 of these in series,
then 2 series in //  for my 7.5KV AC 550mA supply - to give 0.066uf 30kV DC

but I'm wondering if they will take the current at 200kHz -
would I be better to use 4 or 5 in series and get the other 0.04uF from
my other capacitors? Or reduce the voltage to 5kV AC.

It also occurs to me that moving to a lower frequency - bigger coil
will ease the load on the capacitors.

Any thoughts.

have fun,

Alan Sharp (UK)