[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap - Puncture Voltage

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, December 03, 1997 4:08 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Cap - Puncture Voltage

Hi Bart,

I remember reading in High Power Electronics that the pros don't
usually go beyond 270V/mil for polypropylene pulse caps. I think PE
would be much the same dielectric strength-wise. This is for apps
such as ours where high amplitude reversals are the norm. I
understand that if the cap is impregnated with oil and there are no
bubbles and all else is perfect, the next important thing is not to
impress more than about 5kV max across the oil. This may be where
single section HV caps are at risk of failure. Commercial pulse caps
have a number of high capacitance matched sections in series to
attain the voltage ratings.
    The figure of 270V/mil has no bearing on what the caps can stand
for DC. It is a stress related rating. I will be building a 25nF cap
very soon that will consist of four sections each measuring 100nF and
each rated (and tested) for intermittent use at 15kVDC. I plan to use
the composite at about 22kV peak in Tesla service. The dielectric
thickness I am using is 0.25mm between plates (two thickness of
0.125mm each).
The caps turn out to be around a foot long by 3" in diameter each.

Malcolm