[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question?

From: 	Esondrmn[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, December 04, 1997 12:17 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Question?

<<
 I am new two this list. I have built two coils within the last six
 months and had success on them both. The first one I used 15000-at-30ma
 neon, it was a 4.25 inch by 20 inch secondary. I have a flat primary
 with about 13 turns made of .25 inch copper tubing, with .25 inch
 spacing between turns. I have three static gaps with a fan blowing on
 them. I used glass caps, because of their cost. The best spark That I
 could achieve was about 19 inches to ground. Which to me was fairly good
 since as how it was my first coil. But unfortunately I fried my neon,
 Ithink I opened my gaps to far. Now I built a 6.25 inch coil and I am
 only using a 7500-at-30ma neon. I am not impressed with its performance
 at all. I can only get about a six or seven inch spark off of it.
 Any way my question is what is probably the best spark I am going to get
 off of this coil. The only thing I can think of is that my coil maybe to
 short. As I said it is 6.25 inch but I ran out of wire before Iwas
 through winding it, so it is only 17.75 inches long. I plan on fixing
 that though, as soon as my wire comes in. Any suggestions would be
 a great help.

 Chris

Chris,

Good job on the small coil.  That performance is not bad.  What size wire did
you use on the 6.25" coil?  If it is #22, that should be about 490 turns.
That is probably a little short.  I would go for 800 to 1000 turns.  My 6.0"
dia coil produced about 36" sparks with two 12 kv 30 ma transformers.  With
four of these transformers, it produces sparks in excess of four feet.  I
would suggest a few things: add more windings to the secondary if possible,
build a RQ cylindrical gap and get a couple of 12kv 30 ma transformers -
increasing primary voltage is the easiest method to get longer secondary
sparks.  The glass caps are going to be a problem.  Keep your run times short
and monitor their temperature.  Are you sure the new coil is in tune?  If you
continue to have problems, give us all the details on the system - toroid,
primary details, etc.

Good luck,  Ed Sonderman