[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Bypass caps and Neons

From: 	baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu[SMTP:baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu]
Reply To: 	baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu
Sent: 	Monday, December 08, 1997 7:16 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Bypass caps and Neons

Looking for advice from more than one source:
I am getting conflicting advice, and so I am asking here.
Does one, or does one not, need bypass caps when using neons?

Currently, I am using a pair of bottle caps as bypasses, and I had
just made a couple of 500pf poly caps to replace them. Then I found
a message from Richard Quick, stating that bypass caps should be
very lossy WRT HF energy., so I'll use these caps in parallel with my
6nf cap on my coil, and stick with my saltwater caps for the bypass.

 I have also gotten advice to just avoid the caps altogether, as you can
fry a neon with unwanted resonance.

Needless to say, I am confused. Any light that could be shed on this
would be very welcome.

Particulars on the coil in question:
Power: 12KV 30ma NST controlled with 140V/10A variac.

Choke + Resistor: 3.2mh air core [6" of 28g on 2" form], 1K 50w
wirewound resistor [ for another 2.7 mh of inductance BTW]

Tank circut: 12G wire for interconnect, 9 turns 1/4" copper pipe,
starting at 5.5" diameter, with 1/4" spacing, 6nf homebrew poly
capacitor, 7 element RQ style static gap, spaced at .030, total gap
is .18"

Secondary: 3.5"x10"x24g
Toriod: 3" x 12"  (pie pan + 3" flex ducting)

--
Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center
San Bernardino, California. (909)799-8308 |Internet: baumann-at-llumc.edu