[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Signal Generator or whatever

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Monday, December 08, 1997 3:14 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Signal Generator or whatever

A real simple answer:

One with an output impedance = 0 Ohms. That removes the generator
from the equation. The next thing to avoid false answers is to ensure
that the coil is isolated from its surroundings by the highest degree
possible. That includes a sniffer probe from the scope. I have
measured Q's (corrected for the 7 Ohm generator impedance) approaching
500 with a scope probe suspended over 6' away from the coil. In real
operational life one doesn't worry too much about isolation to this
degree but if you are comparing coils and want to eliminate all
outside influences, this approach is a *must*. My best resonator
clocks in around 300+ on a dry day with a modest topload.

Malcolm