[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Heating PE in oven.

From: 	Steve Falco[SMTP:sfalco-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Monday, December 08, 1997 7:12 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Heating PE in oven.

> My question is; Does heating the poly in this manner degrade or harm
> the poly in any way that might decrease its effectiveness as a dielectric?
>
> I'm even wondering if it might be beneficial to bake the entire stack for
> a few hours, (-at- 200 F.) as a way to "seat" the thing. My thinking is that
> besides eliminating air and any other foreign material from the assembly,
> ensuring the best possible contact among its componets will also
> increase efficiency.
>
> Anybody out there have experience with heating PE?
>
> Regards, Daniel Hess

I don't have experience with this, but I have used many polystyrene
capacitors in the past (low voltage stuff).  They appear to be a roll of
poly and foil, which has been fused so that the ends are completely
sealed.  The leads are usually axial, and the poly has been melted onto
the wires to support them.  The whole thing must be fused solid, because
there is no outer covering - the capacitance and voltage is simply
printed on the outer poly.  For what it is worth...

	Steve Falco