[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Oil Paper Caps.

From: 	Robert Davis[SMTP:RE.Davis-at-btinternet-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, December 10, 1997 3:08 PM
To: 	'tesla-at-pupman-dot-com'
Subject: 	Oil Paper Caps.

Dear All,

I am half way through building a small coil (<100W) and want to build the
tank capacitor.  I want to build an oil/paper cap, I will be using Kraft
paper and Medical Grade Mineral Oil.  The capacitor will be enclosed in PVC
tube and sealed at each end.

I intend to seal the unit with Outdoor Silicon Sealant, the label says the
product emits acetic acid on curing, do you think this will contaminate the
oil unacceptably?  If so, would two part epoxy resin be better?

I think electrically the silicon sealant should be OK, I think also it will
be resistant to oil leakage, is this correct?

Does any one know the dielectric constant of oil/paper?
Does anyone know the break down voltage of oil/paper?
If not, I will assume break down voltage half that of oil, for safety, and
dielectric constant to be the mean of the two.

Thank you in advance for your help, all comments appreciated.

Best wishes, Rob Davis (UK)