[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Practical use of a tesla coil

From: 	Julian Green[SMTP:julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk]
Sent: 	Friday, December 12, 1997 7:31 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Practical use of a tesla coil

Ive recently been working with a TV and film lighting company (ARRI)
and they use tesla coils in the balast units for their high power
discharge lights.   The tesla coil is used as an ignighter for the lamp
and generates 4" of spark, no toroid, just heavilly insulated wire.

It's a small unit that comes complete with spark gap, primary cap and
HV and RF transformers  The RF transformer appears to be a 1/2 wave as
no earth is required, cant see it as its been potted in resin.

The lighting engineer gave me a unit to try out for myself I will
let you know how well it performs if your'e interested.

Julian Green.