[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap safety gap (renamed) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:14:06 -0800
From: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Cap safety gap (renamed) (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> The only
> possible source of energy apart from the transformer and boost
> inductor is back-feeding from the secondary. This can only be a
> factor if the gap opens when a significant amount of energy remains
> in the secondary (gap opens at a time of minimum primary activity).
> Experiments in the past suggest this is unlikely but I can't
> completely rule it out.

Maybe if the gap -closes- when there is enough energy in the
secondary, left from the previous cycle. This can really cause
the primary voltage to ring up to a higher voltage than the normal.

>      Energy stored in the inductor while the gap is closed is
> inversely proportional to the inductance but proportional to the
> current squared, the nett result being that the smaller the
> inductor, the more energy is stored and the faster it can recharge

No. The energy is directly proportional to the inductance: E=0.5*L*I^2
Small inductors "charge" faster, but store -less- energy.

--
Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
mailto:acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br