[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ballasting how-to? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:03:43 -0800 (PST)
From: baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Ballasting how-to?

As I am in the early stages of planning to move to a potential Xfrmr
in place of my neon units (I just want the HV kickback problem to
go away :)) I am curious on the best way to ballast such a beast.
While I have heard much mention of how to build caps, and so forth -
ballasting seems to "Be done the usual way" What is the the usual way?

To wit: As I understand it, a combination of resistive and inductive
ballasting is done, consisting of resistors and a welder in series with
the transformer:
   AC HOT  -----------RES-------WELDER------
                                             TRANSFORMER

What size resistor is used? { I have access to surplus multi-kilowatt
                              forklift resistors }
What size/type of welder?

I would be using 120V, and I have a 1.4KVA variac I can use. The
transformer I am considering is a 1.5KVA 12KV to 120V potential
transformer.

Michael Baumann  Optivus Technology Inc.|Loma Linda University Medical Center
San Bernardino, California. (909)799-8308 |Internet: baumann-at-llumc.edu