[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Plastic soda bottles for bypass caps? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:57:01 +0500
From: "Alfred A. Skrocki" <alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Plastic soda bottles for bypass caps? (fwd)

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:08:11 +1100 Peter Electric
<elekessy-at-macquarie.matra-dot-com.au> wrote;

> I had the same problem also. Here in good old OZ, things such as
> doorknob caps are not only hard to get hold of but damn expensive! I
> then decided that making bigger chokes and not using any bypass caps is
> a much cheaper solution. I have been using 30 mH Pi wound chokes and
> safety gaps only and have not lost a Neon sign transformer since.

You really shouldn't be at a loss for a bypass capacitor, since they need
be only around .001 ufd and have a voltage rating exceeding you transformer
they can be cheaply made out of polyethylene film and aluminum foil.
if you use 6 x 6 inch squares of the polyethylene and use say 15 sheets of
6 mil film in between each plate and make each foil plate 3 x 3 inches (add
corner tabs to connect to the outside world) you only need 20 plates to
achieve your .001 ufd and it should handle up to 18 KV rms A.C. !

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/