[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: H.F.Tester (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 19:42:35 -0500 (EST)
From: richard hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: H.F.Tester (fwd)

At 11:18 PM 2/20/97 -0700, you wrote:

> [...]

Yes, the device is a form of Tesla coil often referred to as an Oudin coil.
It is resonant and is used to supply high frequency (few mhz) HV to excite
residual gas atoms in vacuum systems as they are pumped down.  It is most
often referred to as a "leak tester" as it is placed near joints in
recalcitrant vacuum systems in search of air leaks.  The same device was
also sold in the 20s up to the present day for use in administering a form
of localized diathermic medical treatment.

Richard Hull, TCBOR