[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:22:28 +1200
From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Why does top capacitance work? (fwd)

Hi Bert, all,

<snip>
> >     This is something that I am hoping to investigate. It is not true
> > that all systems will benefit from extra capacitance in the primary
> > system. One very experienced coiler reported that increasing his Cp
> > from 0.1uF to 0.2uF resulted only in burning up the gap faster with
> > no extra output length (power went from 25kW to 50kW). Others have
> > also noted this effect. The question then is: why does doing this
> > benefit some systems and not others? I earlier suggested that this
> > might well be a function of the secondary characteristics and that
> > there is an ideal primary configuration for a particular secondary. I
> > will be looking for evidence of this in the coil design notes kindly
> > sent to me by some list members.
> >
> > Malcolm
>
> Malcolm,
>
> This situation is particularly intriguing! All things being the same,
> the primary "bang" size should have doubled. In this system, do you know
> whether the secondary/toroid was changed to operate at a lower
> frequency, the primary inductance halved to keep the same Fo, or some
> combination? Either the additional primary energy didn't make it to the
> secondary in the first place (higher gap losses, loss of primary-ballast
> balance with the larger size tank cap), or the gap no longer quenched as
> well and more of the secondary's energy came back and helped burn up the
> gap, or...something else!? VERY interesting for sure!
>
> Do you have any more specifics on these systems?
>
> -- Bert H --

Ed Sonderman has experienced this and the system to which I refer was
Mark Barton's large coil (11'h x 4'd). I have details of this system
in my records and it will be included in the analysis. I posted a
possible scenario to Ed earlier today (watch this space). The only
way Mark could add C to the system and retain tune was to decrease
primary L (which does what to Zsurge and the gap losses? ;)
Interesting to find where the balance lies for the primary (for a
given secondary ;)

Malcolm